with "*" throughout west-ridge.info indicate web pages that have content from other sites, whose
privacy policies may differ (e.g., the Google Maps page).
The web server for this site logs all the usual information web servers generally log:
- the date and time
- your IP address
- what web page you asked for
- what credentials, if any, you used
- whether the request succeeded, or why it failed
- what web page, if any, referred you to this page
- whatever other information your web browser volunteers, which is solely determined by your
browser. Web servers have no control over what's sent. Often, it includes
- the browser's name and version
- some of the browser's features and capabilities, and
- the operating system it's running under.
What's done with that information:
The usual web site administration tasks:
- Check for intrusion/compromise attempts and where they're coming from
- Look to see what's being accessed and maybe tally how popular each page has been
- Check for access failures (e.g., access to something may fail if there's a typo in a link
- Check for improper access success (e.g., to restricted content without proper credentials).
- Check total server load against allotted capacity.
The logs will be kept indefinitely.
Return to welcome page.