Rules for submitting something to west-ridge.info
Have something you'd like to submit, such as a writeup about a West Ridge issue or a
Candidate's page for an upcoming election? Here's what you need to know.
What to send:
- You may submit:
Other text formats, including Microsoft Word and other word-processor formats, will be
- plain text,
- a PDF file,
- HTML text (a web page document), or
- partly-HTML text (explained below).
- Alternatively, you may submit a link to any of the above, along with the description you'd
like the link to have. The target of the link must be (and remain) content you control and
for which you are responsible.
- You may also submit or link to multimedia content, such as:
although if you want to email me anything big, check with me first. Audio and video will
probably be limited to Candidate pages.
- audio (e.g., podcasts), and
- I'm willing to convert plain text or partly-HTML text to a complete HTML page once. If you
want to do something you don't know how to do, mix in instructions to me regarding what
you'd like. Once it's been converted, if you wish to change it, please either submit just
the changes (text or HTML) or a description of what you'd like changed.
- Partly-HTML: You can learn a few basic HTML things in just a minute or two. See below.
These let you do the basics.
A few simple HTML tags
NOTE: These HTML tags have both a start tag and an end tag.
To underline a section of text, use <u>the text to be underlined</u>.
For bold, use <b>the text to be in bold</b>.
For italic, use <i>the text to be in italic</i>.
For a dividing line like the one near the bottom of this page, use <hr /> (just this
Put <p> at the beginning of each paragraph and </p> at the end. In HTML, blank
lines alone do NOT cause a paragraph break.
Headers: HTML has five header sizes, h1 (largest) through h5 (smallest), and
all headers are in bold. Use any size at any time. This page uses h1 for the header at the top
of the page, h3 for "Rules for content:" (just below) and has no h2 headers. Like the others,
headers have the form <h2>The header</h2>.
Rules for content:
- You have no rights in regard to this web site or its content. However, you do not give up
your rights to use elsewhere whatever content you submit, and I will at your request take down
or update content you originally submitted.
- Acceptance of content you submit is entirely at my discretion. I have the right to reject
it for any reason, and I have final say. Rejection of non-commercial content is likely to be
rare, unless it's blantly false, libelous, offensive, etc. (which I would hope would also be
- You must own the rights to whatever content you submit. By submitting content to me, you
grant me a non-exclusive license to display your content, as well as any changes to it that I
may make, on this web site. If you object to changes to your content that I've made, let me
know. If the problem can't be resolved, I agree to remove the content in question. Changes I'm
most likely to make include: conversion to HTML, removal of sensitive data, <meta> tag
changes in the header section, modifications you agree to or later request, adding a link at the
content comes from another web site, and such. I'm not looking to change what you meant.
- NO SENSITIVE DATA. The restricted area of this web site only uses a weak security
method, so you should assume, as I do, that even the restricted content can be read by people
you might wish couldn't, such as people in foreign countries where breaking into U.S. web sites
is not a crime, but more of a sport. In particular, that means no email addresses, no
unpublished phone numbers such as cell phone numbers, no personal data such as ages, birthdays,
anniversaries, etc., unless I verify that they're your own, you understand the risk, and you
decide to do it anyway in content you've contributed, and even then I may disallow it. [I may
allow phone numbers in Garage Sale Day listings/ads, but that's still risky.]
- You MAY include links to other web pages, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube videos, your
own private web pages, etc. Links to a malware-infected or offensive site may be changed to
non-links and have a warning added.
to play an HTML5 audio or video file will probably be allowed. [Whether or not to host
highly likely to be rejected.
- Submissions in full HTML: It's very likely that I'll change the header section to add or
modify <meta> tags therein.
Return to welcome page.